President’s Blog – January 2023
RANZCOG President Dr Benjamin Bopp provides an update on College activities and advocacy across Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand.
Welcome to 2023 – I hope you all managed some downtime over the festive and new year period with family and friends.
2023 is a RANZCOG election year – this is your opportunity to get involved in the College, have your say and make a difference. Taking on a leadership position can be challenging, but the rewards are great, and I have enjoyed every moment I have been involved in College activity over the last 20 years.
I would urge everyone to consider becoming active in College life. Keep these dates handy and look out for communication from the College.
All India Congress of Obstetric & Gynaecology
At the start of the year I travelled to Kolkata, India, to attend the 65th All India Congress of Obstetric & Gynaecology, organised by the Bengal Obstetric & Gynaecological Society, where I spoke about ‘COVID-19 and Hybrid Healthcare Models’, sharing the stage with respected FIGO and AOFOG expert Dr Ravi Chandran from Malaysia.
Thanks to the organisers for their hospitality; the opportunity to experience a conference with over 9,000 delegates and collaborate with our global peers is always valuable.
RANZCOG has released its schedule for all major College events between 2023 and 2026, so if you are looking for CPD and networking opportunities make sure to mark these dates in your calendar.
Thanks to Fellows and trainees
I am always proud of how the Fellows, trainees and members of the College are engaged at the national level in significant roles.
– Professor Steve Robson, a past President of RANZCOG, is the Australian Medical Association (AMA) President.
– Dr Hannah Szewczyk, a first-year FRANZCOG trainee, is the Chair of the AMA’s Council of Doctors in Training (CDT).
– Associate Professor Gino Pecoraro is President of the National Association of Specialist Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (NASOG).
– Dr John Tait is President-elect of the Asia and Oceania Federation of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (AOFOG).
– Dr Vijay Roach, Immediate Past President of RANZCOG, is Chair of the Council of Presidents of Medical Colleges (CPMC).
College involvement can lead to many opportunities.
Until next time,