Revised FRANZCOG accreditation standards – coming soon
A revised version of the Accreditation Standards and Guidelines for Hospitals in the FRANZCOG Training Program will come into effect from 1 February 2023.
The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
A revised version of the Accreditation Standards and Guidelines for Hospitals in the FRANZCOG Training Program has been approved by the RANZCOG Board and will come into effect from 1 February 2023. Significant changes to standards/criteria include:
- Addition of information around “Suspension of Accreditation” as part of “Outcomes of the Accreditation Process”.
- Additional recipients of the summary report to include other trainees who may have been interviewed.
- Clarification to the process for regaining lost accreditation.
- Standard 2 “Appointment and Support for Training Supervisors” adjustment to wording to recognise other professional development activities, criterion 2.3.2 (Clinical Educator Training Modules) removed due to coverage outside of accreditation.
- Standard 4 “Provision of clinical supervision and experience” simplification and clarification of criteria throughout.
- Standard 5 “Provision of Structured Education Programs, Teaching Sessions and Learning Opportunities” additional wording in criteria 5.4.1 (Simulation Training) and 5.9.1 (Facilities for FRANZCOG trainees) to include updated information in consultation with the Simulation Training Advisory Group (STAG) and Trainees Committee respectively
- Other minor amendments
Further details of changes to the Standards can be found at the beginning of the Standards document.
Accreditation activities undertaken up until 31 January 2022 will continue to use the current version (v1.8) of the Standards and Guidelines.
Thereafter, all hospitals accredited to deliver FRANZCOG training will be assessed using the revised version, for both progress reporting and accreditation visits.
Information on the role of hospitals in the FRANZCOG training program, and the current Standards and Guidelines, can be found by clicking here.
The revised Standards and Guidelines can be accessed by clicking here.
A summary of the additions and amendments made in the revised version can be accessed by clicking here.
The following guidelines support the Accreditation Standards and should be referenced by hospital training sites:
- Guidelines for Hospitals in the FRANZCOG Training Program: Gynaecological Surgical Training
- Guidelines for Hospitals in the FRANZCOG Training Program: Ultrasound Training
The following documents are also available to assist hospitals in delivering effective O&G training:
- Strategies for Training Hospitals to Improve Trainee Gynaecological Surgery Procedure Numbers
- Appropriate Working Hours for a FRANZCOG Trainee